Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as consultant to Oriental Trading Company business units by providing solutions to complex business issues
- Performing due diligence with internal customers
- Recommending Business System functionality
- Assisting in developing business requirements
- Assisting in developing Business Cases
- Serve as project manager working with users, programmers and other OTC functional areas in development and installation of projects. These are complex projects implemented across one or more platforms. The project plans to include staffing, resources, time tables and responsible parties
- Participate with team members in priority planning: estimating resource requirements, project planning and scheduling for programming projects
- Implement complex projects through:
- Creating and interpreting complex design documents independently and explaining to team members as necessary
- Design test plans to thoroughly test all enhancements
- Conduct code and design walk throughs
- Review unit test output from others
- Set up and execute system test
- Provide status reports on assigned projects
- Project owner for projects done in conjunction with other platform implementations
- Assist in functional-area systems issues to include cause determination and resolution
- Write coding with minimal supervision
- Develop and execute unit tests that align with industry best practices and standards
- Debug and quality check software and serve as an escalation point for more complex issues
- Abides by all policies and procedures of Oriental Trading Company, Inc.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance
- Must be able to attend face to face meetings on short or little advance notice
- Work requires in-person collaboration among colleagues and contractors
- Participate in regularly rotated on-call duties: Must be available 24 hours/day to receive calls from Operators/Users, investigate and solve issues while on call
- Provide training to new people and junior members of staff
- Assist other team members with system and technical knowledge
- Mentor Programmer Trainee through Programmer Analyst positions
- Perform other duties or special projects as assigned
Here’s what you need to join the fun:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understand generally accepted analysis and design techniques.
- Must become proficient in the daily operations at Oriental Trading Company.
- Must possess communication skills (written and verbal) that will help in determining customer’s/user’s exact needs and in disseminating that information to appropriate personnel.
- Strong knowledge of applications development/maintenance for interactive and batch programming (e.g., RPG).
- Able to use advanced system utilities (TAATOOLS, Job Scheduler, APIs, etc.). Can use new utilities relying only on manuals.
- Strong knowledge of PDM, SEU, PFE, Job Scheduler, MKS Implementer™, SQL, FTP, IBM Rational, or equivalent.
- Expert knowledge of dump analysis techniques or batch job troubleshooting.
- Expert in testing techniques and knows all testing requirements of systems supported.
- Broad knowledge of catalog or mail order systems for retail use such as OTC’s Functional Business System.
- Able to work under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to interface with customers, clients and other departments to respond to requests both in written and verbal form for the purposes of analysis and software implementation coordination.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, electrical engineering, electronics, communication or closely related field required
- Minimum five years of experience with application development, software QA, or related field
All work and no play just isn’t our style. Join us today!
To apply in less than ten minutes click the “Apply” button or view a complete list of our current openings at http://www.myotccareer.com.
Oriental Trading Company (www.orientaltrading.com), is the nation’s largest direct retailer of value-priced party supplies, arts and crafts, toys and novelties, and a leading provider of teaching supplies and affordable home décor and giftware. Founded in 1932 by a Japanese American, the Oriental Trading' history of fun spans the better part of the last century. Today, Oriental Trading offers more than 60,000 products to individuals, teachers, schools, churches, businesses and nonprofits. With a corporate vision to “Make Life More Fun,” Oriental Trading (a Berkshire Hathaway company) spreads joy and smiles to millions each year through a robust family of brands; Oriental Trading, Fun Express, MindWare, SmileMakers, Morris Costumes and halloweenexpress.com.