Join us at MindWare where fun means business! Mindware is part of the family of brands at Oriental Trading, a Berkshire Hathaway Company!
- Designs products for approved concepts
- Develops specifications for new products to ensure manufacturability and acceptable quality at the target price point
- Evaluates toy, game and book submissions from authors and inventors
- Troubleshoots ways to improve functionality, marketability or affordability of internally developed concepts or external submissions with adequate potential
- Works with Buyers, Product Development Manager, Inventors, Package Designers, Copywriters and Editors to make revisions/improvements to products and package designs until approved
- Works within established timeframes for each project and meets departmental and Merchandising deadlines
- Generates new product concepts based on department performance trends, market opportunities and trends, assortment gaps and identified key occasions, themes and cross-departmental concepts
- Collaborates regularly with other departments, including Merchandise Buying, Brand Merchants, Sourcing and Creative
- Communicates effectively with our overseas vendors regarding new artwork, samples, required revisions and production processes
- Stays abreast of market trends, themes, materials, techniques and competition by local competitive shopping, reviewing industry publications, on-line research, etc. and brings pertinent information and concept ideas to weekly Innovation League meetings
- Market shops, locally and regionally, collecting ideas and reference samples that can be used as inspiration for new products or designs
- Proofs puzzles, packaging copy, card content and rules
- Abides by all policies and procedures of Oriental Trading Company
- Maintains regular, predictable attendance
- Must be able to attend face to face meetings on short or little advance notice
- Work in the MindWare Department office environment requires in-person collaboration among colleagues and contractors
- Reviews new item pre-production and production samples to ensure samples match artwork and specifications, function properly and are acceptable quality for our customers
- Prepares mock-up products and finished craft projects for play testing and photography
- Travels to industry tradeshows for market research; reports pertinent information back to Innovation League
- Performs other related duties and projects as assigned
Here’s what you need to join the fun:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A good sense of color and attention to detail
- Ability to work creatively within the pressure of deadlines
- Excellent organizational, communication and time management skills
- Must have an excellent attitude and be receptive to direction and input from others as part of the product development team
- A good understanding of pre-press and print processes
- Ability to perform job in a safe manner
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with strong analytical skills
Education and Experience
- A four-year degree with at least three years experience in a product development role or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of three years experience in a product development role.
All work and no play just isn’t our style. Join us today!
To apply in less than ten minutes click the “Apply” button or view a complete list of our current openings at http://www.myotccareer.com.
MindWare (www.mindware.com) is the award-winning creator, manufacturer and distributor of Brainy Toys for Kids of All Ages. Founded in 1990, the company started out as a small retail store in Minneapolis, later evolving into a catalog, website and wholesale business that delivers toys and games to customers' doorsteps, classrooms, neighborhood toy stores and the world's largest retailers. In 2012, MindWare was purchased by Oriental Trading Company, the nation's largest direct retailer of value-priced party supplies, arts and crafts, school supplies, toys and novelties. With a corporate vision to “Make Life More Fun,” Oriental Trading (a Berkshire Hathaway company) spreads joy and smiles to millions each year through a robust family of brands; Oriental Trading, Fun Express, MindWare, SmileMakers, Morris Costumes and halloweenexpress.com.